The Central Committee of the Communist Party of China and the State Council jointly released the Document No. 1 on 22 February 2022, also entitled “Opinions of the State Council on Comprehensively Promoting the Key Work of Rural Revitalization in 2022”.
According to this year’s document:
- Two bottom-line tasks are clarified: ensuring the national food security and preventing the large-scale return to poverty;
- Three key tasks: rural development, rural construction, and rural governance;
- Promoting new progress in the rural revitalization and modernization of agriculture and rural areas at a new pace.
Here are the highlights of the document:
1. Food security
- Ensure the food security by keeping cropland area stable and sustaining grain production above 650 million tons.
- Strictly maintain the cropland area of 1.8 billion mu (120 million hectare) as in previous years.
- Promote the establishment of a “national food security production belt”.
- Improve the water use efficiency of agriculture along the Yellow river and keep the production stable.
- Promote the corn and soybean mixed plantation in Yellow river, Huaihe river, Northwest and South-eastern regions; expand the soybean-grain rotation in North-eastern China; In water scarce part of Heilongjiang convert the rice plantation into soybean; develop the winter rape areas along the Yangtze river.
- Sustain the support policy for the pork production and prevent the large-scale drop in production.
- Ensure the supply of vegetables to big and mid-size cities, promote the vegetable production in the North and improve vegetable transport from the South to the North.
- Implement proper minimum price and subsidies for rice, wheat and corn and ensure to cover the costs of production of these crops.
- Establish an agricultural supply chain early warning system.
- Establish 100 million mu of high-quality farmlands and increase the accumulated water-efficient irrigated farmlands into 400 million mu.
- Realize the protection of black soil croplands areas to 80 million mu.
- Initiate a third national soil survey.
- Intensify the research on mid to long term impact of climate change on agriculture.
2. Preventing the large-scale return to poverty
- Implement social benefits and health insurance help mechanism to the poverty prone regions in a timely manner.
- Expand the rural credit investment and insurance system to counties which is the focus of national rural revitalization efforts.
3. Rural development and construction and rural governance
- Promote village/ rural area tourism and ecommerce.
- Promote livestream sale and logistics of agricultural products.
- Improve the digital skills of rural residents.
- Accelerate the early child hood education in rural areas.
- Protection of women and children’s rights in rural areas.
- Establish the rural revitalization excellence reward mechanism.
4. New in rural revitalization and modernization of agriculture and rural areas
- Establish various rural talent initiatives to bring young talents to the rural areas.
- Further extend the experimental counties for second round of household responsibility system of 30 years.
- Expand the experimental areas for rural residential housing reform.
- Initiate the national biological breeding big project.
- Implement an action plan on seed industry, promoting germplasm collection and enhancing intellectual property (IP) protection in the sector.
Source: 中共中央 国务院关于做好2022年全面推进乡村振兴重点工作的意见, CCP and State Council, (accessed on 24 Febuary 2022)