About the Project
The Sino-German Agricultural Centre (DCZ) is a joint initiative of the German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL) and the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs of the People’s Republic of China (MARA).
Recent developments in China with relevance to Sino-German cooperation in the agricultural sector and current DCZ activities!
Latest DCZ Publication
NEW: Read about the Status Quo of Chinese Soil Contamination!
DCZ Smart Agriculture Website
Learn about the perspectives of political decision-makers, entrepreneurs and farmers on smart agriculture.
China released No.1 Document for 2022
by Lea Siebert
Dr. Aihemaitijiang Rouzi
Advisor Agricultural Sustainability (DCZ)
The Central Committee of the Communist Party of China and the State Council jointly released the Document No. 1 on 22 February 2022, also entitled “Opinions of the State Council on Comprehensively Promoting the Key Work of Rural Revitalization in 2022”.
According to this year’s document:
- Two bottom-line tasks are clarified: ensuring the national food security and preventing the large-scale return to poverty;
- Three key tasks: rural development, rural construction, and rural governance;
- Promoting new progress in the rural revitalization and modernization of agriculture and rural areas at a new pace.
Here are the highlights of the document:
- Food security
- Ensure the food security by keeping cropland area stable and sustaining grain production above 650 million tons.
- Strictly maintain the cropland area of 1.8 billion mu (120 million hectare) as in previous years.
- Promote the establishment of a “national food security production belt”.
- Improve the water use efficiency of agriculture along the Yellow river and keep the production stable.
- Promote the corn and soybean mixed plantation in Yellow river, Huaihe river, Northwest and South-eastern regions; expand the soybean-grain rotation in North-eastern China; In water scarce part of Heilongjiang convert the rice plantation into soybean; develop the winter rape areas along the Yangtze river.
- Sustain the support policy for the pork production and prevent the large-scale drop in production.
- Ensure the supply of vegetables to big and mid-size cities, promote the vegetable production in the North and improve vegetable transport from the South to the North.
- Implement proper minimum price and subsidies for rice, wheat and corn and ensure to cover the costs of production of these crops.
- Establish an agricultural supply chain early warning system.
- Establish 100 million mu of high-quality farmlands and increase the accumulated water-efficient irrigated farmlands into 400 million mu.
- Realize the protection of black soil croplands areas to 80 million mu.
- Initiate a third national soil survey.
- Intensify the research on mid to long term impact of climate change on agriculture.
- Preventing the large-scale return to poverty
- Implement social benefits and health insurance help mechanism to the poverty prone regions in a timely manner.
- Expand the rural credit investment and insurance system to counties which is the focus of national rural revitalization efforts.
- Rural development and construction and rural governance
- Promote village/ rural area tourism and ecommerce.
- Promote livestream sale and logistics of agricultural products.
- Improve the digital skills of rural residents.
- Accelerate the early child hood education in rural areas.
- Protection of women and children's rights in rural areas.
- Establish the rural revitalization excellence reward mechanism.
- New in rural revitalization and modernization of agriculture and rural areas
- Establish various rural talent initiatives to bring young talents to the rural areas.
- Further extend the experimental counties for second round of household responsibility system of 30 years.
- Expand the experimental areas for rural residential housing reform.
- Initiate the national biological breeding big project.
- implement an action plan on seed industry, promoting germplasm collection and enhancing intellectual property (IP) protection in the sector.