About the Project
The Sino-German Agricultural Centre (DCZ) is a joint initiative of the German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL) and the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs of the People’s Republic of China (MARA).
Recent developments in China with relevance to Sino-German cooperation in the agricultural sector and current DCZ activities!
Latest DCZ Publication
NEW: Read about the Status Quo of Chinese Soil Contamination!
DCZ Smart Agriculture Website
Learn about the perspectives of political decision-makers, entrepreneurs and farmers on smart agriculture.
China Sets its Major Development Objectives of 14th Five-Year Plan and 2035 Long-term Goals
Advisor for Agribusiness Dialogue (DCZ)
19 November 2020
On 3 November 2020 Xinhua News Agency released the principle proposals of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China on formulating the Fourteenth Five-Year Plan (FYP) and setting the long-term development goals for 2035. According to Xinhua News Agency, the proposal document is adopted at the Fifth Plenary Session of the 19th Central Committee of the party on 29 October 2020.
The first part of the document reviewed the major achievements made during 13th FYP period which laid the decisive foundation for construction of “well-being society” and built an important milestone for launching the new stage of the national modernization.
The document suggests the following 2035 long-term goal: By 2035 China will basically achieve its long-term goal of socialist modernization, which will lay the overall foundations for fully achieving the goal of building China as a modernized, socialist and powerful country in the middle of 21st Century. The document highlights that by 2035, China will basically realize industrial modernization, information modernization, urbanization, and agricultural modernization and build up a modernized economic system. Furthermore, by 2035 the country will achieve governance modernization, cultural, education and science and technological modernization. It is aimed to establish a “green production system” and a “green development society”.
To achieve the goals of economic and social development set in the 14th FYP, the document proposes following priority areas：
- Pursue on innovation-driven development: strengthen the national innovation power, activate the enterprises and talent innovation power, improve innovation institutional environment; the national innovation system will support the following research and innovation priority areas: artificial intelligence, quantum information, integrated circuits, life and health science and technologies, bio-breeding technologies, aerospace science and technology, earth and oceanic exploration technologies, etc.
- Speed up the construction of the modern industry system: pursue to build a powerful country with focus on modern industrial chain and supply chain, develop new and emerging industries, speed up the development of modern service industry, further improve the industrial infrastructures and ICT and digital industries;
- Form a strong domestic market and build a new development pattern: improve domestic market circulation channels, facilitate the circulation in domestic and international markets, promote the domestic consumption, further widen the domestic investment spaces;
- Comprehensively deepen reforms and build a high-level socialist market economy system: further activate all market actors, improve macro-economic governance, establish a modern financial and taxation system; establish a high-standard market system; improve governmental services to the market；
- Prioritize the development of agricultural and rural areas and comprehensively promote rural revitalization: further increase agricultural quality, efficiency competitiveness with a focus on infrastructure, pest management, use of high productivity seeds and green production technologies, machinery, digital and smart agricultural technologies; ensure farmer’s income, implement rural revitalization actions, improve rural infrastructures, living conditions and living environments;
- Further intensify the rural reform: intensify rural land reforms and consolidate farmer’s land use rights; further promote the development of farmer’s cooperatives and new rural entrepreneurs; support the development of rural collective economies; effectively integrate alleviated rural poor communities into rural revitalization programs.
- Optimize the spatial layout of lands and promote coordinated regional development and new urbanization: set up and implement land development and protection strategies; further promote the integrated regional development, such as Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei Integrated Development Program, Yangtze River Economic Belt Development
Program, Yangtze River Delta Development Program and Guangdong-Hongkong-Macau Great Bay Development Program; facilitate the human-centered urbanization;
- Develop culture and cultural industries to enhance the cultural soft-power of the country: improve and strengthen the civil and public cultural education; strengthen the protection and conservation of historical culture and heritages; further improve rural and urban public cultural services; promote the development of modern cultural industries;
- Pursue green development and promote the harmonious coexistence of human and nature: accelerate the low-carbon and green development; further improve the environmental quality; increase the quality and stability of eco-system; comprehensively increase the efficiency of resource utilization.
- Continue to implement the opening policy. Construct a more open-up economic system for an easy and free international trade; continue to implement the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) to achieve win-win development; proactively participate in global economic governance.
Improve people's quality of life and raise the level of social development and social services: further increase people’s income; strengthen the employment promotion policy; further improve the education quality; construct and implement an effective social welfare and social security system; improve the public health service system; construct and strengthen elder care social service system.